Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An offer we can't refuse

We've received an offer on our house. It is the only good offer we've received. Our house was range priced from $235 to $255. Our first offer was $236. We countered at $246. They countered @$238. And on the same day we received a second offer. Our agent sent out paperwork stating that we were entertaining multiple offers, though the second offer was only $215. The first bidder countered our counter at $243, but only if we would sign papers right away. We signed. The inspection was today at noon.

First let me say this is all stressful. We wanted to move because we wanted to get our kids into a better neighborhood and out of "THE" hood. We want them in better schools and where there are other kids to play with. We want them where there is less crime. Our current neighborhood is Tucson's domestic violence capital.

So, we want a better neighborhood, but nh and I have multiple demands. When I asked nh what was important to her she said, in this order, "Centrally located." "Yes. What else?" "I want to be central." "I know you do. What else?" "I want to live central." Grrrrrrr. nh likes living central a great deal if you haven't noticed. She wanted to make her point as I had made suggestions closer to my work and far out to the southeast.

Back to the list. Central, Safe, Good School District, Close Work Out Facility, Cul de Sac, Pool, Nice Lot Size, A/C, Energy Efficient, 2 Baths, (did I mention centrally located?). I added Affordable payment, Length of time we intend to stay and we both want a reasonable drive to family and my work. Whoo, what a list. Oh, and I've added one other consideration for me; I want to buy a house at the lowest possible $/Sq. Ft. This market stinks, a house is an investment and we should be able to find a house that will appreciate like nobody's business that we can capitalize on when the market comes back. The capitalist in me I guess.

After a couple of days searching I can find nothing central we can afford. I have not stopped looking, but have had no luck. I have located houses way out Southeast and near my work we can look at, but both locations mean sacrifice. We look at more houses tomorrow. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Congratulations! And good luck.