Saturday, August 16, 2008

In which he breaks his foot

This is the very moment it happened. In an earlier post I noted that my bright sister asked me if I thought this activity was a good idea. I said it'd be fine. Well, it wasn't exactly fine by the time it was all done. The boys were lifting the mattress up against the wall and then letting go and trying to outrun it as it fell. dg4 tripped and broke the metatarsal bone over his big toe.



The Doctor said he probably didn't need a cast, but there was a chance it wouldn't heal right and because it was in his growth plate his big toe could stop growing. Hence the cast.


This is the worker bee. He was a nice guy. dg4 was shy and didn't say much. You see he chose a red cast. When the doctor asked him his favorite colors he said, "Blue and green and white," but chose red. Go figure.

I tried to pump him up, but when the cast was finished the first thing he said was that he didn't like it. He asked how many nights he'd have to wear it. It was heavy.
"Two nights?"
"No, more nights than that."
"3 Nights?"
"No. More."
"4 nights?"
"No Son, fourteen nights."
"Fourteen? awwww."

Because he behaved so well we took him for ice cream. At the ice cream place a family with a little girl came in. As we left he said, "I think that little girl was looking at my cast." I haven't heard any complaints since then.

For me the remarkable thing is that his foot was broken for 8 days before we took him to the doctor. He was a champ about it the whole time, good spirits, happy boy. When he continued to favor the foot nh took him to the doctor's office. He did well. Makes me feel like a crappy parent that it took us so long to come around to it.

2 comments:

kateonbroadway said...

Those are darling pics...

Also, I saw what you wrote on his cast. Something about good job on his first break... hopefully it will be his first, (and also in my case...) the last.

Diane said...

14 nights?!?! That's forever - poor guy!!