Sunday, August 24, 2008

How hard can it be?

I have a friend I met about a year ago. He has a lot of challenges. He is a paranoid schizophrenic and alcoholic. Because of the schizo designation her receives SSI, a social security disability program and so receives a stipend each month. His health care is socialized.

Because of his alcoholism his stipend usually runs out by the end of the month, so this morning when I picked him up for church and said he looked like he was losing weight I wasn't surprised to hear him say that he only had $.80 per day for the rest of the month and he wasn't eating much.

On the way home from church I was lamenting my busy schedule and complaining I needed my lawn mowed. I then put two and two together and asked if he'd mow the lawn for dinero.

"Sure," he replied. "I want to mow it."
He's an academic fellow so with some scrutiny I asked, "Do you know how to run a lawnmower?"
He replied, "Yeah, sure."
"You have no idea how to use a lawnmower do you?"
He hesitated, looked away and looked back, "No, no I don't. But how hard can it be?"
"Don't come if you've been drinking."
"No, of course not."

Tomorrow at 5pm I put him to the test for $10. He's hungry and dry. We'll see how he does. He has a good heart.

No comments: