Monday, August 4, 2008

In a rare moment, she lost it.

The boys are at a tough age. If they are left to direct their own activities, look out! Yesterday morning nh let me sleep in. It was a sweet gesture, but what I woke to was a rampage. The boys were roaming through the house screaming and fighting (after all they are 2 and 4). It got on nh's last nerve and she lost it. It was the adults turn to scream.

So yes, I got up. I walked into dg4's room and just said, "Good morning" and talked with him, not about his behavior, not about pushing his mom over the edge, but just about how he was doing this morning and whatever. A few minutes later his mom walked by, the one raging just a few minutes earlier. Dg4 said, "You look pretty Mom" as she walked by. He is very sweet.

We talked later that night. Having kids can be overwhelming some times, but if you have a plan, if you can think of how to manage them, they will respond. (I don't speak as FatheredFive might because we have only two little ones, nevertheless). We talked about a plan. We talked about the kids. We talked about nh and I as parents.

It was better than t.v. It brought a little peace into our home. I don't think you plan a family and that's it. I think you plan a family continuously. It is an every day job. And while a little down time in front of the tube is inviting and maybe even good, discussing and planning for the needs of our family is always a more satisfying affair. God give us the strength to do it often.

***Published with permission of nh. Yes, I asked permission.

No comments: