Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Father-in-Law

When nh and I were first married we lived in a guest house. Later we bought the property and remodeled the guest house. I was sure I could do it in two weeks. My Father-in-Law and in-law clan came over to help us over Christmas break. The next August I gave up trying to do the drywall mud and hired a guy to help me finish. I was green man.

Anyway, my Father-in-Law said something at the end of one work day that characterizes the man for me, "What time do you want us over tomorrow?" Not, "Do you want us over tomorrow?" or "Do you need us?" but "What time do you want us over tomorrow?"

Asking for help can be very humbling. I was feeling very humble and a little like an idjit about the whole deal. When I realized he was in for the long haul it just made me feel better, not alone. I've never forgotten that and I hope I never do. Our family has always been such a great help to us.

No comments: