Sunday, August 24, 2008

Guns...again.

Today dg4 wanted to shoot birds and his younger brother immediately parroted, "I want to shoot birds too Dad."
"We're not shooting any birds."
"Why not?"
"Why do you want to shoot birds?"
"To eat." Parrot, "To eat."
"We don't need to shoot birds to eat."
"What if I want to be a hunter when I grow up?" Parrot, "Yeah, a hunter Dad?"
"Then you can have a gun when you grow up."
"When can I have a B-B gun?"
"Never."
"When I'm sixteen?"
"Yes, when you're sixteen."
"How long is that?" uggghh.

When I was a kid my Dad was teaching me to use a B-B gun. We were on the front steps of our house on Tiffin Ave. A bird flitted on the tree in front of us. My dad took aim and bam, that bird fell deader than a door nail. Wow! my Dad was the best shot there is, I beamed with pride...for about one second.

Me, Dad, KK - courtesy of Mom

A baby bird flitted down to the dead bird and just kind of stayed there. My Dad was instantly sorry. He'd not only killed one bird, but likely the baby bird as well. I think my Dad felt a great sorrow over that mother bird. I never saw him shoot at any living thing again.

No comments: