Saturday, August 2, 2008

Knock Knock

dg4 loves to tell knock knock jokes. He knows they are supposed to be funny. What eludes him is that they are funny for a reason, not simply because you begin a small dialogue with knock knock. I just tucked him in and this is how it went down.

"Dad, can I talk to you?"
"Sure." I crawl up onto the top bunk, lie down and put my arm under his head.
"Okay, I have a knock knock joke."
"Okay, only two though."
"Okay, Knock Knock"
"Who's there?"
"Ummmmmmmm, apple."
"Apple who?"
"Apple banana sticks." Laughter.

"Okay, what's the next one."
"Knock Knock."
"Who's there?"
"Ummmmmmmm. Ummmmmmm. Buggy."
"Buggy who?"
"Buggy B'dolphian," is his response as he holds a stuffed Shamu in his hand.
"You crazy kid. Alright, go to sleep."
"Will you check on me?" He asks every night no matter what.
"Of course, I always check on you." And I rush off to write down Buggy B'dolphian.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

My kids don't get the meaning of a secret, yet. a6 tells me she has a secret - "I love you" she whispers in my ear. S then has to tell me her secret - "I want to be a ballerina and have a magic wand." I whisper back - "I am a fairy princess in disguise." She was thrilled.

kateonbroadway said...

Joanna, that is adorable. Father, that is adorable as well.