Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kids will wriggle, but casts are just painful

Househunting yesterday was exhausting. When we got home I firmly said to dg4, "We're going to just read one book and then it's off to bed." Dg4, completely ignoring me, brought about six books onto the bed. We read three. When we were done reading I rolled over and closed my eyes.

Dg4 asked if he could sleep in our bed. I said he needed to sleep in his own bed, but failed to actually take him there. I took off my glasses, without turning out the light and fell fast asleep in about one second. Sometime later I felt the rough exterior of a fiberglass cast pushing into and scraping down my back from the middle to the small of my back. It's the kind of thing that wakes one up. The light was out and my bride was nowhere in sight. Just me, dg4 and his very hard, very rough cast.

I was too tired to care, but distanced myself from the footclub. But alas, kids will wriggle and we were soon together again. We knocked heads, he kicked me, he threw his leg over top of me. A cast to the groin would have been icing on the cake. I thought it would never end, but it finally, finally did.

When the day dawned dg4 awoke. "Dad?" I ignored him. "Dad?" Ignored. For emphasis he climbed up on top of me. "Dad?" Ignored. I knew if he kissed my cheek I'd have to wake up, it's our code. He didn't kiss my cheek, got bored after one more, "Dad?" and went away. Ahhh, the bed all to myself.

NH- an addition to the facts.
This is why the kids are forbidden to sleep with us in bed. When they come in they get the floor for good reason. When I saw dg4 sleeping with gm in bed I grabbed my pillows and slept in Dan's bed. I slept very nicely. TeeHee.

No comments: