Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Winston

Two doors down from us Winston is building a house. They've dug up the foundation and it's made a pretty good hole and a pretty large pile. We went over to talk to Winston tonight.

The boys couldn't have been happier. They received permission to throw dirt clods to their hearts content; and they did. After we left the questions were interminable. Can we come back later? No. Can we come back tomorrow? Maybe. When can we come back? I don't know. Like I said, they couldn't have been happier.

Winston told us they found a well on the property 120' deep. I expressed surprise that it needed to be so deep. I explained a little of the history I know of the neighborhood. I told Winston our old church building used to have a pool fed from the Rillito before it ceased to run. They used to irrigate from the river.

He explained that his neighbor was from Argentina. I explained that my brother-in-law served a mission there.

Winston explained he was house sitting. He was irritated that his friend was too cheap to pay for garbage pick-up and he had to bring the garbage down from on high. He took the Lord's name in vain. He dislikes plants that aren't indigenous, it's just plain highbrow if you ask me; they're here whether you like it or not.

He's a saucy old fart. I think we'll get on just fine.

No comments: