Monday, July 14, 2008

A Parable

Once there was a boy who set out on a journey down from a mountain. As he began he noticed a snake freezing at the high altitude.

The snake spoke, "Please, I am dying. Will you please carry me down the mountain."
"But you are snake. If I pick you up you will bite me and I will die."
"I will not bite you," said the snake, "I give you my word."

So the boy took pity on the snake and though he picked him up he held him far from his body.

After a short time the snake pleaded, "It is too cold, will you please hold me close so that I may receive warmth from your body?"
"But you are a snake. If you bite me I will die."
"Please. I am suffering greatly. I give you my word I will not bite you."

So the boy took pity on the snake and held the snake close to his heavy coat.

Again after a short while the snake bemoaned his fate. "You have been very kind. You most likely have saved me from certain death, but the cold is like daggers all over my body. Your warm coat protects you, but gives me no warmth. Please tuck me inside your coat, bring me close and then I will ask no more."

The boy considered the snake's proposition. He had always been a good boy and strong. Surely God would protect him. The boy took pity on the snake and put him inside his coat for the long journey down. For several days they traveled through the cold and they were both relieved to feel the warmth as they neared the bottom of the high mountain.

The boy said, "Well snake, we are here, at the end of our journey and you are safe."
Just then the snake bit the boy and headed quickly to the brush. The boy cried out as he collapsed, "But you promised you would not bite me. I have saved your life."

The snake paused and turned. "You knew what I was when you picked me up. What did you expect?" And the snake slithered into the bushes. And the boy died.

1 comment:

kateonbroadway said...

Dad- woah. That relates to my life so much right now you have no idea. Cool story =) i heard it once before... can't recall where. I liked it a lot then, and even more now.