Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Selling the House

We've put our house on the market two different times. Both times we've had pre-listing clean-ups in which my in-laws have devoted a significant amount of time helping us. The last time we decided to take the house off of the market. The house has been on the market over 90 days and the listing just expired. Last night nh suggested that we think about taking it off of the market. I said, "Your parents are going to get wise to us." She said, "That's what I told my Mom, but she said it was okay and they'd keep coming over." That's the way my in-laws are. Now that's good people.

When we bought the place I was delusional. I assumed we would be able to finish a 400 sq. ft remodel in two weeks. What a pipe dream. During this project I learned I am bad at two things; drywall mudding and estimating. I burned out. But what I remember most is that in the beginning, when we were in the heat of the project my father-in-law, who had two weeks off, ended each day by asking me, "What time should we be here tomorrow?" Not, do you think you'll need us tomorrow, he could clearly see we needed him, but what time? I don't think I'll ever forget that.

I know my father-in-law a little better now, I'm sure he was frustrated that his newest son-in-law was such an idiot, but he showed up every day and worked hard and advised. My wife's whole family showed up. Rewiring, insulating, drywalling, framing and on and on. My mother-in-law worked too and also made sure we were fed and provided for well.

We have a lot of memories in this house, but the truth is that the neighborhood stinks and we have little ones now. Though the yard is big, the pool is nice and we are comfortable here, I can't shake wanting to get my whole family to a better neighborhood. If criminals didn't commit crimes in their own neighborhoods we'd be okay, but who can count on that?

This Sunday is Fast Sunday. We're looking for a little guidance. Lord knows we can use the help.

****Reminder to write about burning out & what Dad taught me.

No comments: