Monday, June 16, 2008

Wearily, happily (I missed one)

In the last ten days I have slept in California, Arizona, Michigan, Ohio and Colorado. That's enough and I want to go home again.

Yesterday my flight into Detroit was delayed. I missed my connection and through a series of errors by the devil (united airlines) I had to spend the night in Colorado. I felt so angry. I wanted to go green and break the place up. I was really, really looking forward to seeing nh and the boys.

I called to let my Mom know because she wanted me to call her when I got home and it clearly wasn't going to happen. She suggested I call my aunt and spend the night at her house. I felt weird about it. I'm not much for inconveniencing people if I can help it, but I'm no martyr. I didn't call.

My mom called back awhile later and said she called my aunt and that she is happy to pick me up and that I better call her. I did, as I said I'm no martyr. My aunt and uncle drove an hour and a half, picked my butt up, took me to their house where we arrived at 1:45 am and they gave me a warm bed. The next day I got a shower and we went to breakfast with my cousin. It was so much better than sleeping in the cold, dirty airport. Man am I grateful.

The truth is they are good company and that was the best part of the whole thing. When they dropped me off they came in and spent some time with me and we talked. It was a tender mercy. What are the odds my bag will arrive?

Despite a warm bed I only slept about 5 hours. I'm weary. Please let there be rest.

No comments: