Sunday, June 29, 2008

A bad father day

This evening wg2 and dg4 were playing peacefully in our backyard. It is always nice when they do that. The boys wanted to blow bubbles out there and that turned into other fun. km and I were using my wireless to play Settlers and I enjoyed a bird's eye view of the boys playing. I watched wg2 overturn a full bottle of bubbles. I don't know why, but my jaw clenched and I stormed outside (much to his surprise) and I got in the two year olds face.

"Why did you do that?" He didn't have a clue. "Why did you dump those bubbles out!" I smacked his hand. He cried. I grabbed his shoulder and marched him straight to time out. When I weigh the cost of my response against the 98 cents the bubbles probably cost I want to take it all back. I'm an idiot.

In the end we talked and the reason he dumped out the bubbles is very simple. He said, "We were being bad guys." Well then his actions were consistent with his role. I would be lucky if it's the worst thing he ever does. I don't care about those bubbles at all. I only care about my son.

Please God, grant me the strength to be a better man, a better father, a better husband, a better son, a better brother, a better uncle, a better grandson, a better friend, a better boss. Please help me to be better.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Very touching. I've done similar stupid and felt similar self loathing. Self awareness is great start, though.

Samson Agonistes said...

Thanks brother.

Diane said...

You're a good father, Guy. It takes a man to admit a mistake and an even bigger man to share it - God bless you and your family!