Sunday, June 1, 2008

Scary

Yesterday I got to sleep in thanks to my bride. When I got up I heard the clan in the foyer. I went that way and they were putting on shoes and preparing to leave to buy a special breakfast (doughnuts). They were all facing the door. I growled a low growl like a T-Rex to wake the boys up a little. When to my surprise my bride wheeled around, fists up, stance wide, ready for a fight. When I realized I scared the crap out of her I gave her a hug and she cried.

I don't know why I believe scaring people is funny. It certainly wasn't funny yesterday, but it was impressive to see a mother prepare to defend her cubs.

I remember another time in high school when I played a prank on my much younger step-brother eb. I came from a date undetected, crawled into my closet, the back of which shared a wall with eb's room. I knocked on the wall and he call in our parents. They searched a little, reassured eb that all was well and went back to the living room. I knocked on the wall a second time and eb and the parents repeated the routine.

I then got out of the closet and went into eb's room, shhhsing him as I entered. I asked him to call them one last time and when my step-mom reached around the wall to turn on the light I touched her hand. I thought she was going to come out of her skin. It was an over-the-top scare and I felt like a jerk and probably got into trouble too I just don't remember.

2 comments:

kateonbroadway said...

Fight or flight. Always good to know that your mate's a fighter.

Diane said...

Wow - she rocks!!!