Monday, June 9, 2008

Interestingly, Haltingly

A few years ago dg4 received a fishing pole from his uncle jg. At the time I thought, Oh great, now I have to go fishing. It isn't that I really minded taking dg4. I'd take him anywhere he wanted to go, but I am wont to find a more mind-numbing, boring, sleepy, wasteful task. I mean, can't you just buy fish at the store?

Time went by. Every time dg4 saw that fishing pole in the top of his closet he asked, "Can we go fishing?" My response very often was, we need to talk to your uncle jl or jg and then we'll see. It was a stall tactic.

Interestingly, dg4 wasn't just interested in catching the fish, but in cooking and eating them as well. Hmmm? What to do?

And then it happened, we learned of a fishing derby where dg4 could fish with cousins cj, k?, and cl with uncle jg at the helm. I was in.



1. dg4 observes the catch, haltingly
2. dg4 lands a big ol' catfish - 1.9 lbs. & 2nd place in the 0-4 years age category



3. Me, professional hook remover. Fish are icky & slimy.
4. dg4 receiving his 2nd place prizes - Sponge Bob Fishing Pole, tackle box & fishing net



5.&6. Uncle jg preparing the fish, which friend mj cooked up and dg4 spat out. Yuck!

Before it was over dg4 caught 3 fish, more than everyone else combined. He caught them early in the day and all within about 1/2 hour. Though I fought boredom in the long hours after the fish were caught, I felt dg4 and I did something wonderful together. I'm not sure what dg4 felt, he seemed very interested in touching the non-"poky" part of the catfish - the underbelly. I also learned, that while I may think fishing sleepy it is also restful, while the fish may taste badly the experience with dg4 was beautiful. It was a good day.

Thanks to the jg clan for making it possible & especially uncle jg for everything, everything, everything he did.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Fishing is like steak: if you don't like it, you ain't doing it right. Cool pics, though. dg4 looks like dg 7!