Monday, June 9, 2008

Simply, Silently

"Can you help us find our Dad? He's lost." That's what the oldest one told our neighbors when the boys went to find me. After knocking on the neighbor's door early that morning for five minutes, the night owls that live there answered. That early in the morning it is always better to be greeted with "hellos!" or "how are yous?" The tallest knocker does not know this.

"I'm sure your Dad's not lost," was the reply and shortly after, off the boys went leaving artifacts on the guest house porch; a sippy cup, a rock.

I imagine them, the oldest one in the lead, wending their way back to our house where they found me, without the help of our guest house neighbors (who watched from his door until they got back into their own), in my bedroom talking to their mother.

I'm irritated that I didn't hear them go out of the house. I explained the rules, that I was scared not knowing they went out of doors, that they might be injured and then I let it drop. After all they are two and four, if I want them to stay inside I need higher locks and also, how sweet that my adventurers went to find me.

****Note to self, go buy higher locks.

No comments: