Saturday, September 6, 2008

Violence and a win-win

Last weekend dg4 straightened his arm, twisted tight at the waist and unsprung a full fledge smackdown on his brother, connecting open-handed right in the face. To his great misfourtune I saw the whole thing. His brother's only offence??? Squeezing by him to get through the doorway he was standing in.

Needless to say I didn't like it. I was angry, which is the worst state to punish a kid in.

Afterwards, during the "I've just punished you and it's over" cool down period, I was getting dg4 ready for bed. It was hot in Uncle jg's house. He wanted to wear pajamas with long sleeves and pants. I said no way and gave him two choices. He could wear his underwear or he could wear the shorts he'd worn that day.

"I don't want to wear my shorts."
"Good, underwear then."
"No. Dad."
"C'mon dg4, choose or I'll choose for you." He paused, thinking, then asked if he could wear one of cj's shirts as a kind of nightgown. A win-win. Thanks for the lesson kid.

No comments: