Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's not you, it's me.

Most of our problems have everything to do with us. Nh and I discussed this tonight a little. When we lose it because our three year old can't keep it together whose fault is it? Not the three year olds that's sure.

Last week I visited with a very nice woman whose mother wants nothing to do with her.
"How am I supposed to lover her?" she said. I said, "It really isn't about her, it's about you. God didn't ask us to love our enemies because they were nice, he just said love them. It doesn't matter how others behave, our capacity to love them has everything to do with us." I'd never thought about it before, but I think that's right.

KM17 hates college, wishes she had done x, y, z. I think it's within her power to change it. I don't know if she can yet, if she's where she needs to be, but it's not anybody but her.

No comments: