Saturday, September 6, 2008

A tender mercy for a little criminal

A while back I was leaving the courthouse downtown. I was fighting a ticket I felt was unjust. See the earlier post titled "I fought the law and the law won" where I whine about it. I left and was upset. A little less than a mile away I was surprised to see police lights in my rear view.

Momentarily I thought about throwing in my chips and beginning a life of crime. Instead I took the high road and pulled over. When the officer came up to my window he asked if I knew what I had done.

"No."
"I paced you for about a mile, you were doing 40 in a 30."
"I'm sorry officer, I just lost a decision in court and I was distracted. It was unintentional, I'm sorry." I must have looked pretty upset.
"Were you the lawyer or the defendant?"
"The defendant."
"Slow down and be careful okay?"
"Thank you officer."

It was a tender mercy I was in need of.

I just finished traffic school on-line for the great state of Utah. More money, but heaven's-to-Betsy no points. I've begun to use my cruise control everywhere I go.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Wait, what?? Why did you take traffic school online for Utah? Is that where you got the ticket?

Diane said...

How many speeding tickets is that now?!?!?! AND in how many states?!?! It must be the steel toed shoes LOL

Samson Agonistes said...

Yes, I'm officially a speeder in two states. But no points!!!

diane: It's too many, it must be a conspiracy.