Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What do you think marriage is?

Ever since the vote for marriage petition process began I've been thinking about marriage. I believe marriage is ordained of God. I believe it's between a man and a woman. For me that's it.

But today I heard some blow hard on talk radio saying a lot of things that make sense, until he got to his definition of marriage, which he explained is for the birthing of children. In his entire 10 minute rant he only stuttered when making a point about the definition of marriage. It seems like you could have children without marriage and heck, people do all of the time.

I don't think marriage is just about the birthing of children. That's part of it, but I can't help but think it's something more. I haven't heard or thought of a non-religious definition that makes me weak in the knees. I have some ideas of my own though I don't think I could define it well, but if you are reading this then I'm reaching out to you. What do you think, is there a good non-religious definition?

No comments: