Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It pains a father's heart

Today we took dg5 to soccer practice. It's really his first time in an organized sport; if you can call trying to get 5 year olds to work collectively organized sports. He does pretty well early on, but then the substitute coach was trying to teach him and he just kinda shut down. I could see it, his body language was closed, his participation level went to nearly zero and then they broke for water. He came to me and I told him he was doing great and to get a drink. He got a drink, came back to me and didn't make it back on the field.

He cried a little, he was scared he said. I asked him what he was scared about and he said, "All of the kids." There were some that could kick it over his head. I asked if he was afraid they would eat him. He said, "No" and threw some grass at me. I asked if one had a Raptor claw on their foot and he said, "No" and threw some more grass at me. It wasn't working and I thought he needed some time so I left him with his mom and wg3 and I walked over by dg5's new teammates and watched the practice.

This happened before during our vacation in Utah. It was weird, he closed up, upset and way internalized and then later you never knew it happened.

When we got home I took off his shoes and socks for him and we went upstairs and I washed his face with a cool rag. I told him he didn't have to play, that I loved him no matter what. I told him next week I'd be on the field near him in case he had any questions. He seems okay with that and ready to get back on the field. Then we played some chess and I think we both forgot about it.

All in all I think it works together for his good, but I suspect it puts lines on my face. Who wants to see their kids struggling to contain their emotions, obviously upset, but trying? I really think it will be easier for him next week. He warms up to things. Here's hoping.

No comments: