Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pray and do

It seems everywhere I turn folks have very big challenges. I cannot compare my life and not acknowledge God blesses us more I'm sure than I even imagine.

Tonight we had Cam over for dinner. It's been several weeks. Cam is losing her sight. I told her if she called the Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired and began to take classes I'd make sure she gets there. She needs encouraged. I think denial has dominated her life. She has begun very late to prepare. Depression, anger, hopelessness have beset her I think. She hasn't known what to do. I hate the feelings she must be feeling. I told her if she tries to be self-reliant I'll do what ever I can to help.

It will be difficult I think. She's withered at only 62, body, mind and spirit. When she's with us she cheers up. She asked to pray with us tonight. She wanted to listen as we read the kids books. She ate 3 ice cream sandwhiches. 3.

She is struggling with a lot of decisions. It costs her 3 grand a month to live in her place and it costs her mother 4 grand a month to stay in the assisted living facility she's in. The money they have it running out and they get no state assistance until they have only $2,000 left. When they have only $2,000 left they have to wait 45 days to be placed by the state; which means the $2,000 they have left won't last the 45 days they have to wait. It's retarded. She thinks she'll have to sell her house. She offered to give us some of her furniture tonight - which made me feel oddly that I should be the offeree of a vulnerable person.

I asked her how long she had before she must make a decision. She says 60 days. I asked who determines her fate. She said a state counsellor. The counsellor says she has to take courses at SAAVI. She has to win the counsellor over before anything will really change. Here's hoping she can progress quickly.

If she can muster the will, I'm hoping we can get her living on her own, learning to live blind. After 62 years with sight it will be one helluva change. Pray and do; there will have to be plenty of both I think.

No comments: