Monday, May 26, 2008

The Polar Bear Theory

Human behavior isn't predictable. However, identifying patterns of behavior can be useful. I remember taking personality profiles at work. You get scored and dropped onto a grid with the following categories represented in the corners. Starting top left and going clockwise they are: Analytical, Driver, Expressive, & Amiable. I categorized as a top right Driver. My last boss fell central in the grid, which meant he was versatile and could adopt different styles to adapt to different situations. I really like the model and think of it often as I deal with different people, in and out of work. The only drawback is that you could spend a lot of time understanding the model and in the end it isn't perfect.

I like the polar bear theory better because it's a little more high level. Essentially, it goes like this: All polar bears migrate. If you tag a polar bear with a tracking device you can track the polar bear's migration. And if you tag 100 polar bears and document their migration you can use your results to predict the migration of all polar bears with an accuracy over 95%.

The theory suggests that people are similar and I find it's been reliable in dealing with others as well as understanding some of my own behavior. Ultimately, we all have to manage them both; our relationships with others and our own behavior.

However, the following quote gets me thinking; it's by President Boyd K. Packer an Apostle of Jesus Christ. "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." I like that. I think it's right. It's an emphasis on doing things right instead of not doing things wrong.

In dealing with others, at work or personally, the difference in tone matters. I appreciate that Christ loves us enough to have Apostles teach us distinctions which can make a difference in our lives.

No comments: