Sunday, April 5, 2009

Apnea

I've got it, a mild case, but I've got it. I told my new doc I'm fatigued all of the time. So he sent me for a sleep test. Now I wear nose plugs at night so I hit and stay in REM. I had 7 physical blockages of my airway and 7 centrals. A central is when my brain just forgets to send the signal to tell me to breathe. Thanks Brain. This number didn't seem like a lot, but then they told me there were 76 mini-apneas and I guess that's a lot.

My doc and I made a deal. Lose some weight. Get my cholesterol down. My bad is 170 and he tells me it is supposed to be below 100 and ideally below 70. So lose some weight and see me in two months. Can you give me three I say? Sure, but lose some weight he says or we're going to put you on cholesterol medication.

This is how it happens. A pill at 33, another at 39, one at 48, one at 56 and before you know it I have a pillbox with SSMTWTF on it so I know what pills to take and when. The pillbox is accountability avoidance, a recipe for avoiding the reckoning.

Here's me with like 30 wires attached to my head with wax. It didn't bother me, but what did what the one they put on my finger to read my oxygen level. It bugged me all night.

2 comments:

kateonbroadway said...

Daddy... I have a pillbox--- and now I feel bad about it.

Diane said...

Guy, you really have apnea? Are you on a CPAP? Are you sleeping better yet????