Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A tree

This Christmas we've contemplated going on vacation. Everyone is in except dg5.

We decided that if we go on vacation we wouldn't buy a tree.
"Is Uncle jg going to have a tree," dg5 says.
"I don't know."
"Then I don't want to go."
wg3 says, "I want to go. I want to go."
dg5, "Well I don't want to go."

We always ask what traditions do you have? and you? and you? like there is a tradition contest. dg5 points out that having a tree is tradition and that it's one that is important to him. After all he says, "How will Santa know where to put the gifts? How will he know we're not home? I want to decorate the tree."

After a call to Uncle jg he is reassured that there will indeed be a tree. But for me and I think it will be true for him too, it won't be our tree and I'll miss not having one of our own. Any decorations we are able to contribute, if any, will just seem like add-ons to someone else's tree. And that is what it will be.

I guess what I'm saying is there is something important about the tradition of a tree. Something dg5 likes. Something I like too. We'll still have fun I'm sure, but next year we'll stay home, and have tree of our own if I can help it.

No comments: