Monday, December 15, 2008

Tragedy Pt. 2

A woman I worked with for years had to retire because of a genetic defect that's causing her to go blind. She's never married, nor had a single relationship since I've known her. Her mother is overbearing, controlling, and mean and my friend has lived with her, maybe all her life I really don't know.

I do know she's never, never forgotten my birthday. Nor has she forgotten the birthday's of my sons or my daughter or my wife. She never forgets to remember anyone as far as I know. She calls and offers articles that may be of interest, she inquries about the health of so and so.

Now my friend is breaking down. She just spent a few weeks in a mental hospital because she's feeling suicidal and depressed. She sleeps from 8pm to 2am and then can't anymore; she's awake, alone and blind in the middle of the night. She doesn't eat and is down to 87 lbs. She doesn't trust her doctors and doesn't like the meds she's on. On top of that she has osteoporosis, has fallen and her back hurts her terribly. The doctor assures her there is nothing that can be done, her back isn't fractured. Yes he's sure he tells her 10 times before becoming really grumpy.

She refused all help until recently. Now, a very private woman, doesn't care who knows she was in the mental hospital. She is hurting very, very, very much. She doesn't know where she'll go, she doesn't know what she'll do. And thousands of people drive by her house everyday and never know it.

No comments: