Sunday, May 31, 2009

Team Lydick

I was resigned to the fact that we would do grass next year and then... it happened. Someone from Craigslist took all of the landscaping rock out of our backyard and did a great job. After all, 20 ton of rock is an Arizonan's idea of landscaping, but as a transplant I reserve the right to mix it up.
After that it was high gear. Put in the trenches, put in the irrigation, till the ground, mix in the nitrolized wood products, sulfur and phosphorus, roll the soil, lay the sod. It writes out in a few lines, but plays out as a series of very long, tiring days. It requires the whole Lydick family - a little thing we like to call Team Lydick around here.

It all starts with power tools. What boy doesn't love the rumble of big power tools?

Tree removal is a family affair. What would Treebeard think?

Show me a trench and I'll show you a boy who can't, can't, can't stay out of it. I love these boys.


Contrary to popular opinion there was no manure in it. Oh and elephants do have the largest poops, like anybody really needs to know that. It's no wonder wg3 dumped about a pound of fertilizer out of his little shoes.

By the sweat of my brow, till it, roll it.

Yes, it's dark. The truck rolled in around 7:20 pm. It was start then or wait until 5am the next morning. I started. The good people in these four photos are blessings unlooked for. My neighbor does landscapes for a living. He's been walking me through the mine field. Thank God for his advice. Little did I know that when he saw the delivery and realized I was doing it alone that he would recruit his whole family to help. Jim, Angela, Sophia, and Ben. Good folks everyone. In the bottom right is Louis. Louis is my home teacher. He was planning on 5 am, but when nh told him the grass was here he came right over. I feel so lucky to have such good, kind people to help us. The lawn looks great and I am watering it like I don't live in Arizona hoping it will take root. We've done what we can, now grow grass grow.

The Team Lydick member behind the camera did more than anyone. She kept going, preparing, doing, de-rocking, digging her poor wrist into oblivion while I was at work. Why should I be so lucky to have such a wife? We did it for the boys. We hope they will enjoy it for many years to come.

1 comment:

Julianne Zollinger said...

What a cute family!! I can't believe how big your boys are.