Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Soccer Drama

Today we played soccer games that teach the kids skills. During the process kids always get hurt. Apparently it was Dg5's turn. He stepped on the ball to stop it, but in the fray his weight shifted to the foot holding the ball and the momentum cause the ball to roll throwing him to the ground. It was a crappy way to fall and it looked like it hurt.

I observed for a few seconds to assess the severity and sure enough he cried hard. I went over and comforted him for a sec and asked him if he got the wind knocked out of him. "Dad, I think I broke my back." "Okay Son, get up....there now why don't you go over and rest and get a drink." Broke his back. Where do kids get this stuff?

Afterwards I took the time to praise his recovery, for shaking off the pain and getting back in the game.

I worry a little about dg5 though. When I called to him and asked if he wanted to get back in it he said yes and came over. I paid him no special attention because he's like his Mom and that makes his anxiety worse. However, as he joined in the 1 v 1 exercise he froze up, crossed his arms across his chest and put on the I'm really anxious look.

I said, "Do you want to go?" He just shook his head "no."

My solution, act like it was no big deal without missing a step. I mean, what's the other option???? Maybe I could talk him into it, but I didn't because then everyone would be looking at us and I think it would be worse.

After one more round he was good to go and stepped in to battle the field champion. It was a fierce contest and he lost it, but he was good after that. The kid heals like Wolverine.

No comments: