Thursday, October 16, 2008

Does anyone know where the Love of God goes?

Daisy Dell Van Sant
25 August 1930 - October 2008
Beloved Mother and Grandmother

Grandma D's wound is healing. She lies prone most of the time as she heals. The doctors warned us that pneumonia would be a risk. She's on her third round of antibiotics. She can no longer breath and eat at the same time, so she hasn't eaten. Grandma told me last night that she wasn't hungry. She didn't want me to read to her either so I talked with her awhile and caught her up, then I held her hand and we watched t.v. together for awhile. When I got up to leave she cried about something. I kissed her forehead and calmed her down. I asked if she'd like to say a prayer together before I left. She said yes. She cried again and I reassured her.

"Grandma, is there anything you haven't beaten? Your lung collapsed and you got better, you had a stroke and you're healing, right? You've had pneumonia at least twice before and you've healed. You're a tough bird, you keep fighting, don't you give up. Your wound is nearly healed, you can do it," I said. "I love you Grandma. You can do this. Should I turn your light out for you?" "Yeah." "I love you Grandma. I'll see you in the next couple of days. Be tough you can do this." And then nearly a total day of lonliness, darkness and technicians.

Today I got a call from Dad. They moved Grandma to hospice. She told Dad she wanted to be with her Mother. All additional attempts to save her have stopped. The cumiden stopped because they have to draw blood every time and no one sees the point of it. Dad and Sis want her to be comfortable and I don't know, maybe that's right, maybe it's cruel to push her.

I'm not for it even though she is worse than I've ever seen her and I certainly haven't taken as much time to be with her in the last 8 months as I could have so I feel like I have less to say. I do not cease to believe she could get better. I think I'd tell her she'll see her Mom eventually AND Right now she has family here to tend to, people who want her to stay here with them. I have not ceased to hope until I heard she'd been transferred to hospice. Hospice is where you go to die comfortably and I'm told with dignity. Hospice is where you go when the time draws near to pay your debt and now I do believe the time is near. I feel the grief creeping into my soul.
I am grateful for the time I've had with Grandma. One reason I know God loves me is because of the people gifts in my life. Grandma is one of those gifts. I know God loves me and his love never leaves me, not ever. May He comfort us all.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

My heart goes out to you, Guy. I wish that I could be there to give YOU a hug. Hang in there and know that we are thinking of all of you.

Diane said...

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to loose a family member. How's you Dad doing with it?? Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Joe said...

She's lucky to have such a great family. You're lucky to have her. AND you realize it, which is a blessing in itself. We're thinking of you.