Sunday, August 5, 2012

Charity Never Faileth

When my wife and I bought our first house there was also a guesthouse on the property.  My plan was to remodel the guesthouse over the Christmas Holiday and rent it out immediately.  My wife's family chipped in a significant portion of manual labor to help us get the job done.  We saw them everyday, much to my relief. 

You see, I was in over my head.  Way over my head.  I was feeling overwhelmed.  During this time my Father-in-law said something which has always stuck with me, "What time do you want us back tomorrow?"  He didn't ask, "Do you want us back tomorrow?"  He didn't make me ask him to come back, he just asked me what time he should be there.  It was a great comfort to me to know he was going to be there, that he was planning to be there.  He didn't know it, but he taught me a very powerful lesson about how service should be given and I've never forgotten it.

I'm grateful for my Father-in-law.

1 comment:

kateonbroadway said...

I like this story, I have heard you tell it before. I like the meaning. I think everyone should live that way.