Friday, June 26, 2009

Family Night

Tonight we went swimming as a family. It was great fun. Nh and dg went off to do an obstacle course and a slide while wg and I goofed off and chased each other.

After a while I got out and wg entertained himself while dg and Nh continued to play elsewhere. I was amazed that our blue lipped beauty continued to play and entertain himself for so long. Other kids jostled him, hit him and he couldn't have cared less. I wanted to throttle some of the bigger kids.

I stood on the edge with a smile while he played. My heart quickened as he ventured into deep waters. The water just over his chin, kids splashing and flopping and screaming, but every time he would work his was to better water, that same blue lipped grin on his face. I admired that. I thought the fear would grip him since he can't swim, but it didn't. He soldiered on.

Wg is a great kid, except when he yells at his brother that he hates him. Wg doesn't have a host of coping skills yet so we try to explain why that isn't cool. And just when we think we're getting somewhere dg takes the torture to a whole new level and wg lashes out and hurts him and I say, "See that's what you get, quit teasing him." Revenge. Oh yes, don't teach them that's okay. "Wg it isn't okay to hurt other people."
"But Dad he called me Doodie head!" The travesty! The inhumanity! What are you gonna do?

It was a fun evening, thanks Nh for good times.

No comments: